Monday, August 25, 2014

Of Pigs and Paradise

At a member's house
 I'm kind of digging on this new subject line format. Hahaha

This week has been a crazy one so let's hope I can fit everything in!
First, I'll address the subject line: pigs. My feminist side gets a little more irritated every day here. The culture here lets men get away with a whole lot of things they shouldn't, and women's primary role is to have children (from like age 15 on) and to do housework all day. One of our investigators, Mary, cried to us this week, explaining how women are viewed as lesser here and she's never felt like she was worth much. That really broke my heart. It makes me even more happy I'm doing what I'm doing because these people really need the gospel. All people do, but the women especially need to know that they're loved.
And to illustrate exactly what I mean with men having the right to do whatever they feel like -- one night this week we were walking around in the neighborhood where we live, which is super sketch (I'll get to explaining that) when three 18ish year old guys started to walk really close behind us. We noticed and were a little nervous, when all at once the three of them ran past me and two of them slapped my butt. Now, we all need to take a moment and appreciate that I only yelled, "NOT OKAY!!!" at them (in English, but I'm pretty sure they understood) and no swear words (because I know they know all the English swear words). It's a good thing I don't know many Spanish insults, because anywhere but here they would have heard some pretty nasty language. Anyways. So those are the pigs.
And of paradise, I thought a lot this week about why I love it so much here, because it really defies all logic. I'm in a third world country sweating to death and working 24/7 surrounded by bugs and strangers whom I can barely communicate with, but somehow I absolutely love it here. Already! Like I can't say enough for how much I love this place and how much I love this work. After a big meeting we had on Tuesday with all the greenies and trainers, I realized that I am actually doing really well. A lot of other newbies are having a very rough time adjusting. And somehow I am doing fine! The Lord has really made up for my weaknesses. I have honestly felt the windows of heaven pouring out strength for me. Spiritually, physically, emotionally - everything that should be really hard right now just isn't bothering me. I know I'm supposed to be here, I'm progressing every day, and I'm watching lives change. What more could I ask for?
In other news, we had exchanges this week and I was in another area with Hermana Rebecca Lee. She always looked familiar to me, and we figured out why! She went to BYU (like everyone here) and went to Rachel Jones at Studio 1030, so I probably saw her at the salon! Small world, right? (Mother's note: Michelle worked at Studio 1030 all last school year.) Anyways, she's only been out 6 weeks more than I have but I was able to learn a ton from her. One of her investigators told me I had the accent of a Latina. #Winning
Oh and about our apartment in a sketchy area. So we have drunk men that are outside our house almost every night and they come by our window and tell us they love us and crap. It's not good. So we had planned to move today, we had our apartment all picked out, but we found out last night that it has some problems and Hermana Collado can't approve it. So we're doing some serious apartment searching today. We would appreciate your prayers. And if you'd like to fast this fast Sunday to help us find an apartment I wouldn't be opposed. Thanks <3
Other thoughts:
One of our investigators with a baptismal date told us we were angels for them-- tear :')
My compañera is most definitely an angel. I love her so much.
Spanish is coming slowly but surely! :)

Well I love you all and I am so grateful for your thoughts and prayers! Have a great week!
Con Amor, 
Hermana Michelle Gubler

Hermana Bernards, Geraldo, Fanny, Yahaira, Michelle, and Yayling

No comments:

Post a Comment