Monday, August 11, 2014

¡Voy a Semana Dos en Nicaragua!

Michelle with Valencia's daughter, Bridgette.
¡Hola Familia y Amigos!

This has been the longest and craziest and one of the best weeks of my life. I don't even know where to start!
Well first, a lot that I thought I knew about Nicaragua was wrong. It rains occasionally, not everyday like I thought. Sandals are allowed in this mission (facepalm). There are huge grocery stores that have tons of American stuff so I really didn't need to bring all that toothpaste and deodorant and stuff. Oh well. There's more but I can't really think right now..
The people in this ward are AMAZING. We have had so many people reach out and not only offer but actually HELP with the work already. I went on my first splits with members last night (which scared me because without my companion I don't have an interpreter, but it was really fun). Also, the people in general in this area are amazing, we already had 5 investigators in church this week! And remember I said we started from scratch, so we were really happy. We have tons of pilas (Nica slang for cool, promising, hardworking, etc) investigators and I can see a lot of them getting baptized. I'm so excited.
I have to dedicate a little of this email to how the people treat gringas.. The cat calls are RIDICULOUS. Like I knew they would be bad, but it is seriously awful. We get called baby, chela (a not-so-nice word for "white girl") beautiful, and whistled at all the time. Not to mention the ones that make kissing noise and say, 'Marry me! I love you!' The other day I may or may not have yelled back at one who would not shut up... It's super annoying. It feels super degrading. Oh well. It's funny because people always talk about how Americans are rude compared to the rest of the world, but we really aren't. Our cultures are just different. I don't get cat called all the time in the US, but in the US if I stopped to ask for directions people wouldn't drop all that they were doing to help me find something like they do here. They're just different.
People say a lot of other funny things when we talk to them. Tons of people ask if my hair is naturally this color, kids like to touch it, and LOTS of people tell me I look like Barbie. And Shakira, she's big down here. There are two kids, José and Natalia who we run into a lot, and they really love to talk to us. She told me my lips didn't need lipstick because they were already the perfect color. So cute.
Random side note, you know how I said I wasn't sure if I would gain or lose weight down here? I definitely will be gaining weight. Here we go.
Also, I'm already really used to the heat. The AC in church on Sunday was SO nice, but I barely even notice the heat anymore. I'm really glad that adjustment happened fast.
Latinos cannot sing to save their lives, but I seriously love it. If I come home tone deaf I apologize, but it's not my fault. Hahaha!
Another side note, I only get my letters once a month and packages once every 6 weeks, so email is much, much better!! And if anyone wants motivation to write me, please look up Alma 60:6.
Today we got to go grocery shopping and I got to buy cereal and yogurt and gummy worms and I was thrilled. And we went to Pizza Hut for lunch and had pizza just like home. I may or may not have felt a little trunky (which is more mission slang that means you are missing home) at the food and the music from John Mayer and Celine Dion... But its good. I really love it here.
Well, that's all I have time for this week! Love you lots!
Hermana Michelle Gubler

No comments:

Post a Comment